The Illinois Legislature is close to passing a sweeping election reform bill that, among other positive reforms, would make Election Day Registration permanent, and provide early voting on all state University campuses. Illinois student leaders have rallied to suppor the bill.
We have been running non-partisan voter registration and get out the vote drives for 30 years. We ran our New Voters Project on many Illinois campuses this fall, often working closely with student govenrment leaders. When we asked them to sign on to support making Election Day Registration permanent, many were quick to sign on.
- Mitch Dickey – President, Illinois Student Senate, University of Illinois
- Flavio Bravo & Michael Fasullo – President and Vice President, Student Government, Loyola University
- Gedeon Dansou - Vice President, Student Government Association, Harold Washington College
- Akinade Aderele - Student Body President, Illinois Institute of Technology
- Nasir Almasri - Student Body President, Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville
- Reginald Thedford - Student Body President, Eastern Illinois University
- Julia Watson - President, Northwestern Associated Student Government, Northwestern University
Voting is a habit, and getting young people engaged in voting at an early age is a down payment for a healthier democracy. Thanks in part to the to the advocacy of these student leaders, more young people will be voting for years to come.